Oddworld Forums

Oddworld Forums (http://www.oddworldforums.net/index.php)
-   Oddworld Discussion (http://www.oddworldforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   The Oddworld Library - grand opening (http://www.oddworldforums.net/showthread.php?t=13663)

Wil 03-31-2006 02:46 PM

The Oddworld Library - grand opening

Ladies and gentlemen, it gives me great pleasure to formally open The Oddworld Library. Though you've seen and used the name before, I never considered it complete until all parts of it were joined together. Now, with th inclusion of The Oddworld Encyclopædia, that prerequisite is complete, and we are open for business.

I hope everything will be to everyone's liking. I'm certain there are a couple of things still missing, so if you do find anything amiss, feel free to use my spunky contact form. It'll be a good test for it, because I'm not entirely confident it will work.

So step right up, enter the Library, and shhh. ;)

Dipstikk 03-31-2006 03:51 PM

I have a question concerning the authenticity of the articles featured in The Oddworld Encyclopedia. A lot of it sounds like it's being made up.

Edit:
:

Stranger is a mysterious wanderer not truely understood by anyone he meets. He maintains his cold, emotionless exterior to avoid attracting too much suspicion and attention, as he is wanted by various political parties. To keep his identity further from anyone who may be following him, he periodically regenerates by purchasing expensive body-manipulating surgery to completely alter his form.
What

The

Hell?!

I mean, come on! The entire first paragraph of the Abe's Oddysee section of Abe's page sounds like the Matrix.

Edit 2: April fools, Max?

Sekto Springs 03-31-2006 04:40 PM

"They wear dark-tinted visors and black office suits"

Yeah, I knew it. I fucking knew it. Couldn't you have picked a less conspicuous movie? Like Dune?

used:) 03-31-2006 05:09 PM

Yes hahahahaha, very funny april fool's joke.

Now come on, you got the whole forum hyped up, and you blow us off. I'm not trying to be mean, I am saying you've had your fun now please give us the REAL encyclopaedia.

Slaveless 03-31-2006 05:24 PM

The Vykkers aren't supporting Sekto at all here. Most of this is a big lie, like people already said. And wouldn't sligs be more hulkish as they go up in social status? I mean come on...

Dipstikk 03-31-2006 07:06 PM

:

Now come on, you got the whole forum hyped up, and you blow us off. I'm not trying to be mean, I am saying you've had your fun now please give us the REAL encyclopaedia.

I agree, Max and Xav. I've been waiting intently for an enlighting new Oddworld Encyclopedia. Joke or not, I'm really dissapointed. Even moreso that you wasted so much time whipping it together.

Sekto Springs 03-31-2006 07:17 PM

:

I agree, Max and Xav. I've been waiting intently for an enlighting new Oddworld Encyclopedia. Joke or not, I'm really dissapointed. Even moreso that you wasted so much time whipping it together.

Amen.

Xavier 03-31-2006 10:40 PM

Do not worry the real articles are on their way...

You have waited 5 years for this, so you can wait one more day :p

^ I personnaly hate when people tell me things like that :)

Havoc 04-01-2006 02:18 AM

Hehe, nice April Fools joke. Kudos! :P

Sekto Springs 04-01-2006 04:40 AM

I'm not as intensely pissed off knowing the articles are on their way. Regardless, you two both suck immensely. :p

Munch's Master 04-01-2006 04:47 AM

Good april fools you too. It definitely did sound very Matrix-ish in places, and was good for fun. Looknig forward to the proper Enclyclopaedia, but that was a good laugh. Maybe you could keep the April Fools' ones as an alternate version-you could have them saved on in the proper pages as a link to the April Fools' pages. Oh and on Strnager's page, the WARDIS, great stuff. :D

Sekto Springs 04-01-2006 04:52 AM

:

Maybe you could keep the April Fools' ones as an alternate version-you could have them saved on in the proper pages as a link to the April Fools' pages. Oh and on Strnager's page, the WARDIS, great stuff. :D

NO! I shall kill you and use your skull as a chamber-pot!

Wil 04-01-2006 05:32 AM

Haha, Dipstikk, your first reply cracks me up.

Sekto Springs, the Matrix was a late addition to the April mythos and applied rather hurriedly. Dune actually makes the biggest contribution to those articles. Oh, and I do not consider it a movie.

The real articles are coming tomorrow. Your lack of faith actually disappoints me.

Sekto Springs 04-01-2006 05:34 AM

Well, there's a mini series and a movie.

:

Your lack of faith actually disappoints me.
Sorry Max, we only live by your approval ;)

Oddish 04-01-2006 09:41 AM

Hah, I knew there will some kind of April fools joke with this TOE release. Still, good job. Ceverly done though, you probably properly fooled some oddworld newbs.

I am still looking forward to the real stuff ;)

Gotta get me some of that addictive Spooce...

Xavier 04-01-2006 10:02 AM

I agree with the idea those articles should be kept somewhere, on an hidden page of TOE perhaps :p

Nate 04-01-2006 10:47 AM

Well at least it's nice to know that neither you nor I are going insane, which was the first conclusion I had jumped to.

Dipstikk 04-01-2006 11:10 AM

:

Haha, Dipstikk, your first reply cracks me up.

I'm sorry, I was caught up in the moment. Now that I think about it, it was kind of funny. :D

:

Gotta get me some of that addictive Spooce...

Stick me some-o dat in a pipe. :D

Munch's Master 04-02-2006 08:50 AM

Some of the stuff about the Sligs is new to me. Big Whammy? Pray n Spray? Slig Air Corps? Magnum rank? Did you make this up or is at all real stuff that we've never seen. Also what in the world does a Slig tank or Air Corps Helicopter look like?

Xavier 04-02-2006 09:00 AM

everything that's on TOE now is real... 1 april is over ;)

used:) 04-02-2006 09:02 AM

It's very good, and I commend you and Xav, Max.

But are you planning on making a section on Glukkons and notable glukkon characters? That's one aspect of the encyclopaedia I was really looking foward to.

Sekto Springs 04-02-2006 09:05 AM

:

Some of the stuff about the Sligs is new to me. Big Whammy? Pray n Spray? Slig Air Corps? Magnum rank? Did you make this up or is at all real stuff that we've never seen. Also what in the world does a Slig tank or Air Corps Helicopter look like?

That's all true. Big whammy sligs were the highest non BigBro status a slig could reach (craploads of armor, and a BIG gun). Slig Air Corps, to tie it in with something you may have seen, is the thing that drops the Vendo bombs in the old MO streaming videos. Magnum sligs are equipped with a high-powered gun that shoots twice as fast and twice as hard as a standard slig rifle. A Magnum slig actually appeared in MO as an easter egg.

Xavier 04-02-2006 09:06 AM

every intresting character will have his own article don't you worry...
credits for the articles should go to Max only actually ;)

Munch's Master 04-02-2006 09:17 AM

:

. A Magnum slig actually appeared in MO as an easter egg.

Could you tell me where, please. i remember the Air Corps from that video now, but where does the magnum slig appear?

Sekto Springs 04-02-2006 10:06 AM

He's the very first slig you encounter in Flub Fuels; Scrub Pens. You'll notice his weapon fires much faster and much harder than a normal slig Blunderbuss.

Also, not to pick this apart like I was Truman McFreaking Capote, but is this the complete version or is it still under construction? Because I noticed alot of characters and creatures are missing, or at least they don't have their own categories. Glukkons, Molluck, any of the queens, Alf, Big Face, etc.

EDIT: Whoops. Missed your post, Xav. So it is still under construction?

Xavier 04-02-2006 10:11 AM

this is obviously not the whole thing
Wil wanted to keep people intrested and will release additional articles very soon
information can be found here: http://www.oddworldlibrary.net/bboard.php

Wil 04-02-2006 12:44 PM

Yep. I figured that I might be able to sustain interest over a more extended period if I release things over a similarly extended period. I already have dates planned for the release of certain articles.

Glukkons were originally meant to be uploaded in the first wave, but they're surprisingly difficult to write about - in other words, I'm not happy with the quality of what I've written. Yet. Sorry about that.

The next upload will take place on a very special anniversary. ;)

Sekto Springs 04-02-2006 12:59 PM

The birth of the jelly donut?

Oddish 04-02-2006 02:14 PM

Half a decade of the forum member Max the Mug?

Great articles, very interesting stuff. I see a great deal of effort put in, and I'm looking forward for future information :)

Shrink 04-07-2006 01:46 PM

Brilliant stuff.
Well organised and well written.