Oddworld Forums

Oddworld Forums (http://www.oddworldforums.net/index.php)
-   Oddworld Discussion (http://www.oddworldforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What makes Oddworld Odd? (http://www.oddworldforums.net/showthread.php?t=19674)

paramiteabe 09-19-2010 01:19 PM

What makes Oddworld Odd?

I wonder what in all of the Oddworld games makes Oddworld such an odd place? Oddworld mirrors our world in an extreme way. Is it that all the Mudokins are green and only Abe is blue? What else makes Oddworld such a strange place? Its funny in the games that all the strange stuff is actually pretty normal for Oddworld.

Ninjaxe 09-19-2010 07:28 PM

It might not be consider Odd at all. Maybe Oddworld is the name of world, which doesn't have to mean anything.

The thesaurus: odd abnormal, atypical, bizarre, strange, unusual, weird. They stitch each others lips and that is odd. Paramite and Scarabs can't see and that strange. Glukkons have shorts legs and that abnormal, for answers we know why ;) And egg pooping queens which is bizarre

Mr.Spandexpants 09-19-2010 08:38 PM

Oddworld is odd because of the farting.

Pilot 09-19-2010 09:15 PM

What happens when you fart in spandex pants? I wouldn't know.

Mudokon_Master 09-19-2010 09:49 PM

:

()

It would amplify the sound by 10 times larger.

Oddworld is just odd because it is - how is it not odd to anyone? Little green people farting, squid headed green things with robot legs, glukkons who appear to have no arms (T'was a big shock to find out the truth about them). Paramites and Scrabs. Elum, the cranky, stubborn, selfish, smelly camel thing with horns. Apparently, chicks dig him. :D

Mr.Spandexpants 09-19-2010 10:01 PM

:

()

They inflate to enormous size and block out the sun, causing anather ice age,and killing all mankind. Then the elephants will rise from the dust and become the new developed species.

Pilot 09-19-2010 10:04 PM

Paramiteabe, does this answer your question?

Xavier 09-20-2010 12:02 AM

Pilot got himself an infraction, he should know better... and Mr.Spandexpants you are officially warned: spam isn't tolerated (at least not by me).

STM 09-20-2010 08:08 AM

Oddworld is odd in different ways, it is a parralel to our own world technology wise but also, there are elements such as the mystical ways and unknown territories that mimic our understanding of the world as they way we would 600 years ago

Ninjaxe 09-20-2010 06:06 PM

:

()
They inflate to enormous size and block out the sun, causing anather ice age,and killing all mankind. Then the elephants will rise from the dust and become the new developed species.

That sounds impossible. The spandexpants will be more likely be intoxicated and you will faint if you took one massive whiff.

it is odd that majority of the creatures of Oddworld speaks English. Extremely odd.

Crashpunk 09-21-2010 02:02 AM

Compare it to Earth and it IS very Odd (It could work the other way as well)

Brun Croes 09-21-2010 02:03 AM

Odd

I think you gave the reason yourself in your opening post. Oddworld resembles our world in such an extreme way (but with different visuals) that we get confronted with the way things really are, and frankly if you really think about it, our world is a really creepy / odd place one might say.

Other then that, the creatures that inhabit Oddworld have a really unique design when compared to other Movie/game universes.

I remember Lorne talking about how his ideas come from problems that are real in our world, and how he gains inspiration from them in order to shape Oddworld.

-Brun
http://www.bruncroes.blogspot.com

Slag? 09-21-2010 01:09 PM

Oddworld is odd because its called oddworld. Thats what i always thought, prove me wrong, but I'm still sticking to that Logic.

Hazel-Rah 09-21-2010 07:08 PM

Well like Waterhsip Down Oddworld bears a pretty close resemblence to our own world and for the most part the less flattering characteristics of it, stuff that goes on every day that people don't realize but would be appaled to find out. That's pretty deep for a video game I'd say.

psycoman27 09-22-2010 11:21 PM

I think it's odd that they are in a situation similar to ours with less resources, yet the mud's stand up for themselves, all we do is sit around and let things happen to us.

MuMI 09-23-2010 10:25 AM

Oddworld is odd because it is called Oddworld! :D

MeechMunchie 09-23-2010 10:34 AM

Or is Oddworld called Oddworld because it is odd?

Yes.

STM 09-25-2010 01:57 AM

And of course the music! Monsaic Lines music for example, it's so fantastic, the melody and drama, is almost sorrowful! As if the mudokons are depressed by the knowledge of the ruin being brought to their world!

Stranger4002 09-25-2010 07:33 AM

I think someone asking what makes Oddworld odd is a bit odd.

psycoman27 09-28-2010 10:20 PM

Because Lorne Lanning said so.

MuMI 09-29-2010 07:09 AM

One thing is for sure: Oddworld is odd!

enchilado 09-30-2010 01:07 AM

Oddworld is odd because it's called Oddworld, and it's definitely odd (that's why it's called Oddworld).

GlukkonGluk 09-30-2010 07:33 AM

I think Oddworld is odd because it's a world, you see, which is odd.

Xavier 09-30-2010 11:40 PM

Ok, spam time's up! Next one to post something irrelevant is going to get a nice little infraction.