Oddworld Forums

Oddworld Forums (http://www.oddworldforums.net/index.php)
-   Oddworld Discussion (http://www.oddworldforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Oddworld Questions & Answers VIII (http://www.oddworldforums.net/showthread.php?t=19094)

Wil 03-19-2010 11:00 AM

Oddworld Questions & Answers VIII

Welcome to the eighth edition of Oddworld Questions & Answers, one of the Oddworld Forums’ oldest traditions.

What do I post here?

This unofficial Q&A is intended to reduce the amount small threads in Oddworld Discussion that never last long, and exist only to answer a simple question. Some good questions that have been asked in the past include: Who is the leader of the Mudokons? What does ‘Zulag’ mean? What are the MameGame Generators? Members should feel free to contribute possible answers.

This is also a media request thread. Ask for pictures, sound files, videos, and links here.

I have a question!

Radical! But before you ask it, please check to make sure your question isn’t already answered by Oddworld Inhabitants’ official F.A.Q. (although this is now rather out of date), the Oddworld Library’s unofficial F.A.Q., or in a previous edition of Oddworld Q&A (see below for links to these). Also, try searching for your answer on the Oddworld Forums by using its own search engine, or using Google by adding ‘site:www.oddworldforums.net’ to your search term. Trust me, everything we know about Chroniclers, Khanzumerz, Squeek, and SligStorm has been talked about on here a dozen times.

Some questions don’t belong in this thread.
  • Questions about how you can obtain Oddworld games or merchandise should go in the Buy List thread.
  • Questions about gameplay or technical problems should go in the Oddworld Help forum.
  • Questions about the Oddworld Forums should go in the Forum Suggestions & Help forum.

I’d like to request a picture/video/link

Super stuff. Just be aware that The Oddworld Archives already hosts a huge collection of images, audio, video, archived websites, and links to interviews, designer diaries, and more! Please look there before asking here.

Previous editions of Oddworld Questions & Answers

Previous editions of Picture Request

STM 03-19-2010 12:23 PM

Wow first post! Go me.

I have a question, do we know for certain what time SW is set in, I don't believe we know when or in fact where although my suspicion is mudos because of the vyker

Wil 03-19-2010 01:37 PM

It's set in Western Mudos contemporaneously with the other games, although precise timing has never been stated or estimated, and is probably indeterminable and irrelevant, since there are no interactions or references between the two plots.

enchilado 03-19-2010 05:07 PM

Do we even know when the Abe games are set? Would it mean anything even if we did, since there's no other time to compare it to except SW, which isn't set at a specific time anyway?

STM 03-20-2010 05:27 AM

I think AO is basically "the time" in oddworld history, perhaps the most significant time also it can be followed by future events such as AE and eventually MO, I guess it allows foundation for other times like SS

Phylum 03-20-2010 05:48 PM

So what we've already said, just worded slightly differently?

You can't really say there's 'a time' in the oddworld universe.

STM 03-21-2010 02:15 AM

Heh I guess so, perhaps I question for the next Lorne Lanning meeting? =)

Phylum 03-21-2010 02:21 AM

I doubt Lorne will show any fan, no matter how dedicated, about the future of Oddworld. Past won't be revealed either, it's just future was more dramatic.

Lord Stanley 04-01-2010 03:59 PM

Is it an Oddworld-related question to ask, Does Max the Mug know everything? or is that just blasphemy?

Wil 04-02-2010 01:26 AM

It is true that I know everything, but this thread is only for Oddworld-related questions.

enchilado 04-02-2010 01:29 AM

:

It is true that I know everything

Max the Smug

Lord Stanley 04-03-2010 11:57 AM

Did Munch ever hatch the Gabbit eggs?

enchilado 04-03-2010 12:01 PM

No. He started up a small but expensive restaurant near Alf's Rehab and Tea.

STM 04-04-2010 03:37 AM

I hear he kept a few to turn into his own labour to fry his own eggs and in turn hatch more, he's hoping for a girl egg.

Lord Stanley 04-05-2010 08:31 AM

Are you just being goofy, or is it just that we don't know the answer (except Max the Mug. He knows everything.)

If he knows everything, why don't we ask him?

"Hey, Max! What did Munch do with the Gabbit eggs already?"

MeechMunchie 04-05-2010 08:33 AM

Took them to Ma'Spa?

Wil 04-05-2010 09:43 AM

What Munch does with the eggs hasn't happened yet. I may know everything, but what hasn't happened yet doesn't fall under the field of 'everything'.

Lord Stanley 04-05-2010 04:27 PM

Oh. I guess he just sold them to Earth, and since he can't read, they were labeled "Caviar," and that's how it all began...

And now for a question. Why do naturalists (Muds, Gabbits, Grubbs, etc.) not use guns?

Taco 04-05-2010 09:20 PM

They probably don't know how to/don't like them/are scared of the technology.

Wil 04-05-2010 10:43 PM

For one thing, I've never seen a naturalist Mudokon, Gabbit or Grubb. For another thing, these societies generally don't have the technology to make their own guns, especially Gabbits, who have no tools or buildings and would fall unambiguously under the category of wildlife if they couldn't speak. For a third thing, why would they want to when they tend to have their own weaponry that they're more used to using and probably more sentimentally and spiritually attached to?

Taco 04-05-2010 11:55 PM

Actually, now that I think about it, Mudarchers' weapons have a pretty good rate of fire and seem to do a lot of damage. So they definately don't need guns. I wonder if they would kill a slig instantly in AO/AE, since bullets would kill abe instantly in AO/AE but he can take a couple of bullets in MO. I never really liked the health thing in MO

Sekto Springs 04-08-2010 10:09 PM

I'd think native-born mudokons are a bit snooty about technology, whereas freed slaves would be less averse to using industrialist-made weaponry. Not unlike the contrasting tribes of Native Americans, some were content to use the modern marvels that they bartered or robbed from the white men, whereas other tribes thought any and all white man technology was evil. Of course, since the capture of Sam, there are probably few native-born mudokons left. This leads me to believe mudokons using salvaged industrial garb or weaponry wouldn't be too uncommon.

Trouble is guns made for sligs would have to be modified to accommodate use by a mudokon.

Lord Stanley 04-09-2010 01:03 PM

How do you use a Spooce Bow? It's like a machine gun, so it's obviously not fired like a normal bow. Is it spring-loaded, magic-loaded, or is it just one-of-those-things-you-should-not-think-too-hard-about-in-a-game-already?

Sekto Springs 04-09-2010 01:56 PM

I'm gunna go with the last one.

Wil 04-09-2010 02:21 PM

It fires crystal-focused beams of fatal Spooce energy. Last option.

STM 04-10-2010 11:21 AM

Like a cho-ko-nu bow it fires from a semi auto clip.

THIS IS MORE IMPORTANT!

I just found out what BS and SMO'BS means!
I was looking at German gamespeak and realised that for BS and SMO'BS they have written Blodsinn and Mehr Blodsinn, directly translated as bunkem, rubbish or, bull shittery!

Also sligs in Germany say pess auf! LOL

Josh 04-10-2010 11:35 AM

Odd, I would have thought they would say Verpissen, seeing as auf means 'on' and pess isn't a word.

MeechMunchie 04-10-2010 12:21 PM

More to the point, BS is 'Bullshit' and S'MO BS is 'Some more bullshit'. Since OWI is an American company, I think we can take the English gamespeak as being official.

Wil 04-10-2010 12:57 PM

:

()
I just found out what BS and SMO'BS means!

What a good question.

STM 04-10-2010 01:19 PM

Err Mr Mod I believe this thread is Q&A