02-13-2002, 06:26 PM
paramiteabe
Wolvark Semi Auto

: Nov 2001
: Cuyahoga Falls Ohio
: 4,129
paramiteabe  (95)
Happy what is your description of God?

Well I think God is more than just an old man sitting in the clouds making thunder to punish people. To me he is everything that was created from the beginning of time. He is not a he or a she. God is more like a simbol for me. I think God is just nature in it's goodness. What do you think what God is if you believe in God?
02-13-2002, 07:04 PM
Danny
Wolvark Sloghandler

: Apr 2001
: York, England
: 3,961
Danny  (11)

Okay, this is complicated. I don't believe that God is a separate entity to us, but I believe that we have some form of God within certain people. It is created by our belief in it, and therefore takes the form of whatever we believe it to be (e.g. Allah, Jehovah, Brahman). Although it has no existence outside of our minds (and dies when we do), within our minds, it has an almost separate existence, and a small amount of power over us. Like I say, however, it is only called into existance by our belief in it, and therefore does not inhabit Atheists or Agnostics...

Basically, I think of God as a sort of Jungian Archetype. Do people know what one of those is, or am I going to have to explain it?

Guns don't kill people, People kill people! Using Guns.

02-13-2002, 07:10 PM
SeaRex
LOLocaust.

: Tampa Bay Area
: 3,335
SeaRex  (33)

I agree (mostly) with your explaination, Danny. That's all I've got to say...
02-13-2002, 07:12 PM
Jacob
Lawyer to the Underworld

: Feb 2002
: Nowhere in particular...
: 4,377
Jacob  (87)
Well...

Well...like all stereo-typical gay guys (Although i'm straight...dont bother asking...its a long and complicated story involving...lots of long and complicated things) I think God is female...erm...and thats it...actually...i dont have a opinion on God...woteva he/she/it is...it made us...so he/she/it must be insane or sumat.
However...Lucifer...i can say about him. He has a purple suit with pin-stripe lines going down horizontally. His hair is gelled back and he has tiny black horns coming out of his forehead. He has black nail-varnish on his short nails and he has no facial hair. His eyes are bluish and nice looking and he is very slim. He suit is made by Versacé and he has a Golden Rolex watch. On his left middle finger he also has a Silver ring with the letters 'G.O.D' on them...i am wondering what sexuality he is...i'm going 4 Bisexual...dunno why...i jus' think it wud give him more character. Hmmmm...i really do have issues.

"In Heaven all the interesting people are missing" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"America is the most grandiose experiment the world has seen, but, I am afraid, it is not going to be a success." - Sigmund Freud

02-13-2002, 07:18 PM
Fazerina
Super Stingbee

: Dec 2001
: Turku, Finland
: 492
Fazerina  (22)

I think Dan said it kinda well there.. I also believe that god is created by our belief in it. It's the need of people to have a meaning in their lives and have something relieable and comforting in their lives that makes them to believe in some kind of god, what ever they think it is. I think it's good for people to have faith in something like that if it helps them. But if someone is really scared of his god and dedicates his whole life to please him I think he's kind of wasting his life. If there really isn't anyone.
02-13-2002, 07:52 PM
Danny
Wolvark Sloghandler

Danny  (11)

Still working on that game, Chris?

02-14-2002, 12:01 AM
Disgruntled Intern
Faerie-Digesting Tachyon

: Port Orchard, Washington
: 3,506
Disgruntled Intern  (4322)Disgruntled Intern  (4322)Disgruntled Intern  (4322)Disgruntled Intern  (4322)Disgruntled Intern  (4322)Disgruntled Intern  (4322)Disgruntled Intern  (4322)Disgruntled Intern  (4322)Disgruntled Intern  (4322)Disgruntled Intern  (4322)Disgruntled Intern  (4322)

ah, well, er, i don't really believe in much of anything. i agree with some 'things' but i sure as hell don't believe in *THE* God...
Dan's idea/theory really suits me, and i think i shall steal it.
*steals theory*
heh
or, god could always be alanis morisette, like in that movie, Dogma.
02-14-2002, 04:48 AM
Surfacing
Clakker Relic Miner

: Oz
: 887
Surfacing  (10)

Ohh boy another topic that's gonna cause heated arguements amoung us. Back to the question, i guess you could say i'm a on and off type of person when it comes to god. what i mean by that is there i times when i do think that yes there is a mighty force up there watching over us and there are times when i think that man has created god in his own mind.
02-14-2002, 06:35 AM
ODDBODD
Outlaw Mortar

: aus
: 1,856
ODDBODD  (71)

God is a .... who is always happy when his children are around him.. He likes to listen rather than to talk and he smiles when you even think about him.
He is a .... who cares for everyone of us and crys for the people who turn their backs to him.
He is a .... who regrets his decisions but is forced to send people to hell. He loves and prays for the people in hell.
He is a .... who forgives man and always looks on the bright side and looks in your heart and not your actions.
He is a .... who crys when you cry and laughs when you laugh because he is within all of us and feels all of our emotions because he is more than our father.
He is a .... who HATES when wars are made out in his name and man kills man and man judges man without trying.
He is a .... who welcomes you with arms wide open and a song in his heart, he stays with you till you fall asleep and watch every breathe you take with love and joy.
He is a .... who respects your decisions since he gave us all free-will which is the greatest gift of all but is sadened when it is taken advantage of.
He is a .... who does not separate his children by the outside but by the heart of man and the heart of his heart
God is a .... who is always happy when his children are around him.. He likes to listen rather than to talk and he smiles when you even think about him.

that was a poem that was written by my grandmother on her deathbed. It is right above my bed and i always read it when i am depressed because it fills me with warm love.

02-14-2002, 10:38 AM
Gluk Schmuck
Not living with Max any more

: Jul 2001
: Sheffield, UK
: 2,874
Gluk Schmuck  (11)

I agree with Dan, but what's a Jungian Archetype?

And I like your Devil, Chris...
02-14-2002, 03:55 PM
Sydney
Oddworld Forums Founder
Queen of the Damned

: May 2000
: Australia
: 1,408
Sydney  (32)

God explains the unexplainable. That's why he's so popular.

02-14-2002, 04:08 PM
One, Two, Middlesboogie
Outlaw Sniper

: Dec 2000
: upside down in a toilet bowl
: 1,552
One, Two, Middlesboogie  (10)

I'm an atheist, but I thought Oddbodd's grandmother's poem was really lovely. It's so sweet.

02-14-2002, 04:16 PM
Gabriel
Chippunk

: Feb 2002
: Finland
: 22
Gabriel  (10)

I think that God is everything. For an example, our world, earth, we, life, is a part of spectre of a light, let's say infra. Then God is everything, and he IS who spectre. Everything. And thus, his apperiance variates. Like Danny said at 2. message.

-GM at Final Fantasy Finland
-Administrator at RPGmakerfinland.

02-14-2002, 06:04 PM
Oddworld Master
Howler Punk

: Sep 2001
: the one place i hate
: 323
Oddworld Master  (10)

i may possibly get some arguements here but i really don't think god can be all that to be honest sometimes i don't even believe in god. i believe that there is a great superior like him/her but if god was all that we say bad things wouldn't happen in this world. actully i don't even think there is a heavin/hell once you die you die nothing else comes from it. but i really shouldn't say much i don't have a realigon (sorry i'm bad at spelling) or anything so i really shouldn't have much of a say in this. i'm more then likely wrong about what i just said but i have the right to express my opinion. please don't get mad at me if you strongly believe in god.

02-14-2002, 06:12 PM
Danny
Wolvark Sloghandler

Danny  (11)

:
Originally posted by Sydney
God explains the unexplainable. That's why he's so popular.
The problems arise when someone discovers another explanation...

Okay, I'm not very good as explaining things. A Jungian Archetype is something that exists within our minds. I'm not entirely sure about the details, but I think it has something to do with the Collective Unconscious. The Collective Unconsious is a sort of collection of ideas that exist within the minds of everyone. Jungian Archetypes are figures that exist within the Collective Unconscious: the Hero, the Heroine, the Wise Old Man, the Child, the Villain, all of these characters that exist within us. That is the reason why there is one of each of these characters in most stories (whether Shakespearian Plays or Star Wars). They are a part of all of us, and have a certain power over us, but have no existence outside of us. That is how I think of God.

Disclaimer: I've probably got the details of these things wrong, so if anyone knows any better, just keep your big mouths shut!

02-14-2002, 06:47 PM
Sydney
Oddworld Forums Founder
Queen of the Damned

Sydney  (32)

Still, there'll always be things never explained. I was suggesting that God is a comfort pillow... As they say, if God didn't exist, people would have created him.

A Jungian archetype doesn't necesarily have to mean a collective consciousness, although I guess it can (Jung was also kind of new-agey in some of his philosophies). I seem to think you're saying that people create God in their heads according to preconceived ideas, like stereotypes, usually formed around culture.

02-14-2002, 06:49 PM
PinkHaired Mudokon CWR
Outlaw Hunter

: Rochester, New York
: 2,810
PinkHaired Mudokon CWR  (11)

*sob* Well said poem oddbodd!

02-14-2002, 06:55 PM
Fazerina
Super Stingbee

Fazerina  (22)

:
As they say, if God didn't exist, people would have created him.
This is exactly how I think it is. He doesn't exist so people have created him.
02-15-2002, 10:53 AM
ODDBODD
Outlaw Mortar

ODDBODD  (71)

sorry Fazerina but i when you said "He doesn't exist so people have created him." it sounded like "HE DOESN'T EXIST" You must understand that alot of people believe that there is some form of eternal entity that drives us on but saying that "HE DOESN'T EXIST" is a bit harsh and unprovable. "If he exists" would be correct.
And dont say to prove about gods existance because we are to believe as a fact.
"thou shall not put god to the test"

02-15-2002, 05:20 PM
PinkHaired Mudokon CWR
Outlaw Hunter

That's Right!

Good point Oddbodd.

02-18-2002, 09:57 PM
Sydney
Oddworld Forums Founder
Queen of the Damned

Sydney  (32)

:
Originally posted by ODDBODD
sorry Fazerina but i when you said "He doesn't exist so people have created him." it sounded like "HE DOESN'T EXIST" You must understand that alot of people believe that there is some form of eternal entity that drives us on but saying that "HE DOESN'T EXIST" is a bit harsh and unprovable.
Placing Fazerina's comments in context, you'll see she said "This is exactly how I think it is. He doesn't exist so people have created him." She made it clear her comments were merely her opinion. You've got to understand a lot of people accept the natural world as it its and don't need to validate it with some kind of mystical entity.

02-19-2002, 07:13 AM
ODDBODD
Outlaw Mortar

ODDBODD  (71)

i know what you mean and thousand pardons.

But what i dont know is how you can live like that, dont you feel lonely or nervouse knowing that when you die it will just be.... well black?

02-19-2002, 02:36 PM
Fazerina
Super Stingbee

Fazerina  (22)

:
Placing Fazerina's comments in context, you'll see she said "This is exactly how I think it is. He doesn't exist so people have created him." She made it clear her comments were merely her opinion. You've got to understand a lot of people accept the natural world as it its and don't need to validate it with some kind of mystical entity.
Thanks, Syd. Couldn't have said it better.

But anyway.. pardons accepted.

No. I don't feel lonely or nervous. The fact that I don't believe in god doesn't stop me from believing in life after death or reincarnation.

Last edited by Fazerina; 02-19-2002 at 12:55 PM..
02-19-2002, 04:02 PM
PinkHaired Mudokon CWR
Outlaw Hunter

:
Originally posted by Fazerina

Thanks, Syd. Couldn't have said it better.

But anyway.. pardons accepted.

No. I don't feel lonely or nervous.
Yeah right, everyone is scared to die and you will feel lonely. No one to be with you, all by yourself for all eternity. It's like Hell yo.

02-19-2002, 04:34 PM
Sydney
Oddworld Forums Founder
Queen of the Damned

Sydney  (32)

Before you are born, you don't exist. Many believe that when you die you no longer exist, so you experience the same feelings you would have before you were conceived.

I don't know about you, but I don't recall feeling lonely in the time before I was conceived. I don't recall feeling anything, because I didn't exist.

02-19-2002, 04:51 PM
PinkHaired Mudokon CWR
Outlaw Hunter

But no one knows that, it's just their opinion.

02-19-2002, 04:57 PM
Sydney
Oddworld Forums Founder
Queen of the Damned

Sydney  (32)

You're right, no one knows for sure. Your opinion is no more or less qualified than the next person.

Some might argue that elaborate stories of God and the afterlife were created in the interests of self-comfort. All creatures are programmed with the desire for self-preservation: Humans extend onto that desire with fanciful tales of the afterlife.

02-19-2002, 04:58 PM
PinkHaired Mudokon CWR
Outlaw Hunter

True.

02-19-2002, 06:14 PM
SeaRex
LOLocaust.

: Tampa Bay Area
: 3,335
SeaRex  (33)

Wow... I think this is the first civilazed conversartion that we've had about god in a long while... I'm glad to see friendly chatter!
02-19-2002, 06:38 PM
Fazerina
Super Stingbee

Fazerina  (22)

:
Originally posted by PinkHaired Mudokon CWR
It's like Hell yo.
According to you that's where I'm going, so where's the difference?