02-09-2005, 04:22 PM
Steef1o1
Stunk

: Feb 2005
: united states
: 42
Steef1o1  (10)
Question Sekto?

Does anybody know what species Sekto is and why he drained the Mongo because he's a octopus and he probibly needs water too.And also why he killed all the Steefs?
02-09-2005, 05:21 PM
Dipstikk
The Junk Food Junkie

: Nov 2002
: IN MY IMPENETRABLE FORTRESS
: 2,404
Dipstikk  (627)Dipstikk  (627)Dipstikk  (627)Dipstikk  (627)Dipstikk  (627)Dipstikk  (627)

Sekto
Species: Octigi (related to the Glukkon species)
Reason for draining river: He runs a Bottled Water company.
Reasons for killing Steefs: I'm not sure. Status could play a factor, since I take it Steef heads are like deer heads or antlers, people hunt the Steef for those parts of them, and being rare could be why they're so coveted.
Vengence could be another one, or a grudge. Perhapse Sekto's family got the shit stomped out of them by a Steef, and Sekto wants revenge.

02-09-2005, 05:31 PM
Steef1o1
Stunk

Steef1o1  (10)

I thought he looked like a glukon.Mabye he did get his family killed off by steefs or mabye he's just a jerk?whatever the reason he's down river now and his dam is gone to I thought he just might want steefs and grubbs to fear him.
02-09-2005, 05:33 PM
Volsung
Boombat

: Mar 2004
: At the margins
: 212
Volsung  (33)

If Steef are the ancient protectors of the Grubbs and the river then killing them serves the practical purpose of destroying the defenders of the river you want to own. Once Sekto rose to power he started hunting the Steef in order to quell opposition.

Also there's the possibility of a prophecy concerning Steef vanquishing Octigi. Thats what the rock art in the mongo valley seemed to imply.

I'm assuming Steef heads became valuable because Sekto was collecting them. Who knows when the idea of Steefs as freaks came into vogue? We know the Clakkerz couldn't have been there before the dam, and it makes sense that the outlaws followed the clakkerz. So I'm thinking it all starts with Sekto. But yeah, it could be a vengeance thing for him.
02-09-2005, 07:40 PM
tsioc
Bolamite

: Jan 2005
: fresno
: 55
tsioc  (10)

where is this rock art you speak of? I wasnt able to find it...
02-09-2005, 08:14 PM
Volsung
Boombat

Volsung  (33)

It's in the forest right before the New Yolk City. There are several large rocks along the path and around the lake, I can't recall exactly, but a number of them had rock art depicting Steef and Octigi.
02-10-2005, 12:46 PM
Steef1o1
Stunk

Steef1o1  (10)

I saw that to its pretty cool that they have that in the game.
02-10-2005, 03:40 PM
sligster
Outlaw Shooter

: Jun 2002
: weeeeeeeee!
: 1,410
sligster  (10)

Sekto is an Octigi.

Obviously, they latch onto a victims head, and take control of it's body. Sekto, as seen in game, latched onto the Olden Steef's head. I imagine that the Olden Steef was sort of the Steef leader, seeing as how he had the biggest horns (you can see the Olden Steef's horns mounted in the phone call video).

He dammed the river to build up water for Sekto Springs (bottled water company). He killed off all the Steef, at first, because they would never allow him to build a dam, because the Grubbs need water to survive, and Steef are Grubb guardians, so they kinda go hand in hand.

But I think after the first few Steef slaughters, and Sekto was able to build the Dam, hunting Steef became sort of a sport for Sekto.

That should answer everything.
Asshole
Albert Einstein never learned how to drive a car.

02-11-2005, 12:18 AM
Oddipus
Riot Slug

: Apr 2001
: Belgium
: 576
Oddipus  (38)

As a parasite, doesn't he need a new host once in a while? The old steef could impossibly be the host for as long as Sekto lives, right? So maybe he hunted so many steef, only to get rid of the over-used body of the previous Steef. Old steef loses head, head is cleaned up, head goes to wall. And Sekto needs a new Steef from time to time, otherwise he would have to live in a fishtank. I'm confused.

02-11-2005, 07:05 PM
sligster
Outlaw Shooter

sligster  (10)

:
As a parasite, doesn't he need a new host once in a while? The old steef could impossibly be the host for as long as Sekto lives, right? So maybe he hunted so many steef, only to get rid of the over-used body of the previous Steef. Old steef loses head, head is cleaned up, head goes to wall. And Sekto needs a new Steef from time to time, otherwise he would have to live in a fishtank. I'm confused.

no, because the Steef's horns would get in the way, and in the trophy room, all the Steef heads have their horns.

I have no idea how Sekto managed to get the Olden Steef's horns off in the first place, though.

Mabey Sekto actually did manage to saw them off? Real octopus' are incredibly strong, after all.

Or mabey Sekto had a previous body, pwned the Olden Steef, sawed off the horns, and switched bodies?

I like the second theory.
Asshole

02-11-2005, 08:35 PM
Steef1o1
Stunk

Steef1o1  (10)

Stranger didn't have horns either mabye he was to young or he shaved them(like hellboy) if you watch the cinematic with doc the paper shows him with shaved horns.
02-11-2005, 08:42 PM
sligster
Outlaw Shooter

sligster  (10)

:
Stranger didn't have horns either mabye he was to young or he shaved them(like hellboy) if you watch the cinematic with doc the paper shows him with shaved horns.
I would imagine Stranger probobly shaved them, as not to draw too much attention to himself.
Asshole

02-11-2005, 11:51 PM
Dipstikk
The Junk Food Junkie

Dipstikk  (627)Dipstikk  (627)Dipstikk  (627)Dipstikk  (627)Dipstikk  (627)Dipstikk  (627)

:
It might just be a diagram of a regular old Steef, not just Stranger. I doubt Stranger's grown into his horns yet.

02-12-2005, 12:14 AM
Mudokon Princess

: Nov 2004
: America
: 153
Mudokon Princess  (10)

I agree with Dipstikk
02-12-2005, 02:36 PM
Steef1o1
Stunk

Steef1o1  (10)

Hey Sligster cool pic did you draw it yourself?And the horns might be like a maturety thing or who ever has the bigest horns is the leader.

02-12-2005, 03:53 PM
Volsung
Boombat

Volsung  (33)

I also agree with Dipstikk. There are numerous allusions to Stranger's "Scrawniness" so its likely he's a teen Steef. Or hasn't done whatever it takes to get the horns. Steef are supposed to be mystical, so maybe if you haven't achieved a strong sense of self you're considered immature. Like Stranger. Just a theory, and a possible "quest" for a sequel.
02-12-2005, 03:55 PM
Dipstikk
The Junk Food Junkie

:
Hey Sligster cool pic did you draw it yourself?And the horns might be like a maturety thing or who ever has the bigest horns is the leader.
No, that was concept art from a way long time ago.

02-13-2005, 08:13 PM
Angalok
Stingbee

: Virginia, U.S.A.
: 99
Angalok  (10)

What really solidified Sekto's status as my favorite Oddworld villain is that sinister voice. Deep, menacing, and I think I detected a slight Spanish accent. I wonder: as a small parasite, is that his own voice, or is that Sekto manipulating the Old Steef's vocal chords? It was certainly a deep enough voice to be a Steef...

By the way, I'm a bit surprised at how the Octigi and Gloktigi appeared in this game. As far as I know, Stranger was not one of the original characters, and his story was recently invented as part of Lorne's quest to reinvent Oddworld after the lukewarm Munch reception. Are the Oddworld Inhabitants constantly inventing new species and creatures, and then find a game for them to appear in afterwards? Or, were Sekto and his pets planned as enemies for Abe and Munch?
02-14-2005, 02:30 PM
Steef1o1
Stunk

Steef1o1  (10)

I think he did use the old steefs voice and made his vocal cords say what sekto wanted to say he also had a big piece of shirt over his mouth.his pets didnt realy have mouths either but they made squeals and blurbles but no words.

02-15-2005, 07:58 PM
Phat_man
Stingbee

: Indiana
: 91
Phat_man  (10)

One of my theories is that doc also did the operation to surgically remove stranger's horns explaining why there are no stubbs.

A thing about the armor though. If the end armor was steef armor why did it have horns if steef already had horns. That wouldn't of been able to fit with out holes in the helmet for horns. and I know I know this is a video game anything can be logical but another thing is if he was so scrawny how come the armor fit him perfectly. I don't mean to over anlyze things but that just doesn't make sense.

02-15-2005, 08:07 PM
Volsung
Boombat

Volsung  (33)

The Grubbs could have modified the armor, explaining why it fit and why the helmet had horns. Its less likely about the horns, but they had a full night to modify the first armor and some more time to do the other two. Or maybe the armor was designed specifically for young steef, or whatever it is that makes Stranger scrawny. I think any of these might work for the armor, but I can't think of a truly legitimate reason for their helmets to have horns either. It bothers me.

As for the horns, that could make sense. It would also establish the Doc as someone Stranger knew he could trust with his secret. I still think it means a lack of maturity or that he's young, but surgical removal also seems viable.
02-16-2005, 12:13 PM
Phat_man
Stingbee

Phat_man  (10)

Yeah I'm not blocking out the idea of the maturity thing, but it was an idea that I want to see your guys opinon on.

Also I thought maybe the grubbs had fixed the armor I mean really they fixed that boat up in no time, but another thing to think about if the armor was to be strong they couldn't of fixed it because it takes time and hard labor to make armor thats quality so I know that the surgical thing is a good idea, but I believe the most logical reason was it was made for young steef only and that he just hadn't matured and gotten his horns yet.

02-17-2005, 03:09 PM
Shell Man
Thudslug

: Feb 2004
: Seattle
: 172
Shell Man  (10)

I'm not so sure Stranger was young. He just didn't strike me as being like a teenager. His voice, his facial hair, I consider him to be an adult. I also think it's just as likely that he just filed his horns ala Hellboy.

02-17-2005, 03:23 PM
Steef1o1
Stunk

Steef1o1  (10)

Stranger didn't seem that young but mabye he was only in his 20's and mabye that's when steef's grow them.You never know anything could have happened to him when he was younger.

02-17-2005, 03:27 PM
Volsung
Boombat

Volsung  (33)

:
I'm not so sure Stranger was young. He just didn't strike me as being like a teenager. His voice, his facial hair, I consider him to be an adult. I also think it's just as likely that he just filed his horns ala Hellboy.
On that note, its possible that Stranger's scrawniness is due to having cramped himself into the pants. Kind of like how a corset pushes your organs up into your ribcage, his pants could have restrained his natural growth. It follows the filing and self-mutilation theme.

I still think he's a teen or hasn't found his "center" (which would allow him to grow horns). I've known plenty of young teenagers 13,14 that look like their in the early 20s. But part of that is based on their hitting puberty early or whatever. And if he is just a young steef that looked like an older one, wouldn't that just mean his horns should've come in early? Eh. I don't know much about Steef Biology.

EDIT: I just realized this thread is supposed to be about Sekto. Damming the water creates a pool where the dam is, thus allowing the octopi to breed or do whatever it is that Sekto might have as an ulterior motive. Also, did anyone notice that the ending movie had Sekto swim off into the view that we have posters of Stranger taking the boat into?

As for Angalok's question, I think Stranger's story takes place along the same area that ME was supposed to be. That would allow for Abe and Munch's would-be enemies to become Stranger's. But that's based on fairly old information. Still, I think they're probably inventing new creatures constantly to fill certain preset roles. And its likely that they reinvent creatures to fit in with games and call them variations, like slegs.
02-17-2005, 04:25 PM
Phat_man
Stingbee

Phat_man  (10)

:
Monkeys when they are are young are covered in hair so maybe steef are the same way. The thing about the horns, There are no stubbs showing he filed them. He wouldn't of filed them all the way down to his skull if thats what your thinking because after a while he would start to feel it.

02-17-2005, 09:52 PM
Shell Man
Thudslug

: Feb 2004
: Seattle
: 172
Shell Man  (10)

He could have covered the stumps with his hair, which he has plenty of. I dunno, it's probably open to interpretation. I guess I should remember that Oddworld lifespans can be very different.

What I wonder about Sekto is his relation to the larger Glocktigi monsters. I know they're in the same 'family', but Are they like the dumb cousins of the Octigi family?

02-18-2005, 02:57 PM
sligster
Outlaw Shooter

sligster  (10)

:

What I wonder about Sekto is his relation to the larger Glocktigi monsters. I know they're in the same 'family', but Are they like the dumb cousins of the Octigi family?
basically. It's just the same way with humans and monkeys. Same family, with similar features, but not the same.
Asshole

02-18-2005, 04:25 PM
typhonblue
Bolamite

: Jan 2005
: canada
: 58
typhonblue  (10)

Stranger's a teen.

There are quite a few differences between Stranger and the older steef in the surgery drawing. First off the facial structure is different, with Stranger's being more boyish or child-like.

1. The older steef's cheekbones are higher and more pronounced then Stranger's. Stranger's face is rounder, with more "fat" around the jaws and cheeks.

2. The older steef's nose and muzzle are longer, giving it a more adult profile. A lot of young animals (including humans) have flatter faces when they're young.

3. The older steef has a much higher skull.

4. The older steef had longer legs, a deeper chest and a more proportionate bottom half.

Plus Stranger not only *doesn't* have horns, he doesn't have the large bald spots where horns should be if they were cut, suggesting they haven't grown in yet. *And* there's also the numerous referances to his "scrawniness" and such by the grubs. Plus a good explaination for why the armor had horns was because it was for young steef who didn't have their horns yet.

All and all, it's probably pretty likely that Stranger's just a colt. And when you throw in the choices he was making... makes the case that much stronger. He'd do anything to fit in. And fitting in, finding your place, is something young animals (and humans) are obsessed with.

As for the deep voice... I noticed he had an adam's apple. That suggests he isn't *too* young, at least pubescent. Also, big horn rams don't mature all the way if there's too many alpha males about, they have to wait till one dies off and then they go through a quick burst of maturation. If Steef were based on Big Horn, stranger could be in that in-between stage: a beta male mostly through puberty, but not quite matured enough to be alpha.
02-18-2005, 07:22 PM
Phat_man
Stingbee

Phat_man  (10)

Wery well done typhonblue