paramiteabe
Wolvark Semi Auto

: Nov 2001
: Cuyahoga Falls Ohio
: 4,129
paramiteabe  (95)
Happy The Oddworld we all want to see!

Imagine seeing Oddworld this way in the game play:

The game play seems so real and life like that everything and every inhabitant does it's own thing (life cycles). I can see you as Abe or Munch walking into a Mudokin Village and seeing all the Mudokins doing their own thing. Like a couple Muds would be riding Elums into the wilderness to search for food while others would be returning from the wilderness with some supplies. I can see Mudokins on foot starting conversation with other Muds but you can understand what they are saying and not just jibber jabber. and other Muds can be walking in and out of their huts or tents. I can see something funny happen in such a case where a Mud is cooking something and all of a sudden some Mudokin children or an Elum goes nuts and knocks over a pot of hot steaming water and it spills all over the Mud. He gets mad chases the Mudokin children or Elum awey. I can see you walking into the tents and wittnessing some kind of Mudokin ritual where the tribal chiefs are conjouring up their mistic mojo.

Mainly I want everything to do their own thing on top of the stuff we know now with the emotions, plus it would be different every time you play the game. Could you imagine walking out onto a field and you see Mudokins chaseing some animals on their Elums or wittnessing the capture of Mudokin natives to turn into scrubs or slaves by the Magog? Lastly it would be cool to see Mudokin children. Different ages for Mudokins not just adult Mudokins. That would add an interesting verity to the game play. And to top it all off I could see small wars or desputes taking place between different Mudokin tribes. And all of this would be taking place in the game play.

Mainly I think that is what Munch was originally going to be like. And I have no doubt in my mind that Lanning wants the game play to be like that for Oddworld. Just imagine playing in the game like that. Thats just incredible to me. It's possible.

Last edited by paramiteabe; 07-17-2002 at 03:48 AM..
07-17-2002, 12:06 PM
Alcar
Oddworld Forums Owner
Magical Happy Dream Queen

: Sydney, AU
: 6,698
Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)

It IS almost impossible. To have an AI that advanced and to be working in every signle character I imagien would be extremely hard.

Apart from the reality of it, I would love to see that. I've been hoping for a game like that, not just an Oddworld one.

Alcar...
Oddworld Forums Blog

Upcoming Forum Events
11th Anniversary of Abe's Exoddus (September) § 9th Anniversary of the Oddworld Forums (May 2009)
Release of Citizen Siege (2020) § Double Back Ceremony (Daily)

“Also, we don't need no Jacob to gay this place up. We have officially won the award for the forum with a highest proportion of gay members whilst not being themed about poojabbing, cowboys or Kylie.” - Nate

07-17-2002, 12:11 PM
ODDBODD
Outlaw Mortar

: Apr 2001
: aus
: 1,856
ODDBODD  (71)

it will be too much like a RPG than a adventure/puzzle game

07-17-2002, 12:46 PM
Oddsville
Oddworld Almanac

: Jun 2001
: Florida
: 1,830
Oddsville  (236)Oddsville  (236)Oddsville  (236)

Thats what MO was gonna be like, except not quit that advanced. Im not sure about the Mudokon villages but I do know that all the wild life was gonna have its own... life. In an interview I was reading Lorne said that just about every tree will grow at its own pace and every creature will live its own life, like if a creature hurt itself somehow Abe and Munch could run across it and take it in, etc. An example of this is the Scrab heard video, you can see each Scrab (or just about each one) running at its own pace.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wRSHXhJzsY

Last edited by Oddsville; 07-17-2002 at 04:50 AM..
07-17-2002, 04:07 PM
paramiteabe
Wolvark Semi Auto

paramiteabe  (95)

Oddworld is deffenitly the first of its kind. Who knows by the time at the end of the quintology it will be how I described it. Maybe this is just the first step to that advanced gaming expierence who knows but it is exciting! It maybe hard and it maybe close to imposible but you could still say it's possible. I am sure there is a way it's just a matter of how to create such a thing which makes it hard.

Last edited by paramiteabe; 07-17-2002 at 08:11 AM..
07-17-2002, 04:48 PM
Jacob
Lawyer to the Underworld

: Feb 2002
: Nowhere in particular...
: 4,377
Jacob  (87)

I've been wanting to see a game like that for ages. In about 20 years time ALL games should be like that and the graphics should be so advanced its like controlling a actual person. Paramite abe had just described 'Project Ego' or 'Fable' whatever its called now. Seeing all of that in a Oddworld game would be quite interesting. Especially if you possessed a Slig, kept control of him for a good part of the game, but instead of trying to complete the game with him, just be nice to the Muds and other slaves. I would love to see how other Sligs would react to a Slig doing something like that.

"In Heaven all the interesting people are missing" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"America is the most grandiose experiment the world has seen, but, I am afraid, it is not going to be a success." - Sigmund Freud

07-17-2002, 05:06 PM
Mac the Janitor
Outlaw Semi Auto

: Apr 2002
: naked
: 2,444
Mac the Janitor  (14)

Yep, that's basically Fable.

Eventually the Oddworld games are going to be like that, maybe Hand of Odd.

07-17-2002, 05:45 PM
Oddsville
Oddworld Almanac

: Jun 2001
: Florida
: 1,830
Oddsville  (236)Oddsville  (236)Oddsville  (236)

Well I do know that Lorne wants you to be in citys at the end of the Quintology. He said that he wanted each and every characer to have thier own lives in the game. Lorne gave an example, he said that say Abe and pals created a disaster in the middle of the city (some thing that effects the traffic) and all the Inhabitants of the city would be mad because they where late for work, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wRSHXhJzsY

07-17-2002, 08:12 PM
Gluk Schmuck
Not living with Max any more

: Jul 2001
: Sheffield, UK
: 2,874
Gluk Schmuck  (11)

:
Originally posted by Jacob
In about 20 years time ALL games should be like that
No they shouldn't.

The idea you proposed is entirely possible, paramiteabe (glares at Pete/Alcar). Although the interface to allow you to interact with the world would need to be highly developed. And the algorithms necessary to keep the world working would take their toll on the polygon count. Not the frame rate, never the frame rate. Frame rates should never slip below the magic 30 or is it 60?
07-17-2002, 08:17 PM
Jacob
Lawyer to the Underworld

Jacob  (87)

:
No they shouldn't.
I meant 'should' as in 'will'

"America is the most grandiose experiment the world has seen, but, I am afraid, it is not going to be a success." - Sigmund Freud

07-17-2002, 11:43 PM
Alcar
Oddworld Forums Owner
Magical Happy Dream Queen

: Sydney, AU
: 6,698
Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)

:
Originally posted by Gluk Schmuck

No they shouldn't.

The idea you proposed is entirely possible, paramiteabe (glares at Pete/Alcar). Although the interface to allow you to interact with the world would need to be highly developed. And the algorithms necessary to keep the world working would take their toll on the polygon count. Not the frame rate, never the frame rate. Frame rates should never slip below the magic 30 or is it 60?
*pokes tongue out*

Yes you probably could do this (Fable, whatever) but it would require the system that it appears on to be one hell of a system. Remember that in Oddworld games there are lots of creatures/characters on screen at once at times, each one having top do there own thing. This could majorly slow down the game or even have it glitch up. It's just like if you're playing a game and too many baddies are trying to kill you at once occasionally the gameframes will skip and jump.

But I would love to see this in an Oddworld game, but I think we'll be waiting a while for it to happen. Or maybe ME will have some tricks up it's sleeves...Sweet Jebus I need ME information!!!

Alcar...
Oddworld Forums Blog

Upcoming Forum Events
11th Anniversary of Abe's Exoddus (September) § 9th Anniversary of the Oddworld Forums (May 2009)
Release of Citizen Siege (2020) § Double Back Ceremony (Daily)

“Also, we don't need no Jacob to gay this place up. We have officially won the award for the forum with a highest proportion of gay members whilst not being themed about poojabbing, cowboys or Kylie.” - Nate

07-18-2002, 02:28 AM
paramiteabe
Wolvark Semi Auto

paramiteabe  (95)

We should be gettng really excited because I have been seeing small hints for the new game like in inhabitants interview at Oddworld.com. If you read those every month the last question protains to ME. The answers are quite interesting. In this one they were interviewing the composer to the Oddworld games. His answer was like the music in the next one is much more stronger. Those answers I believe are tiny hints for the next game. And so far for what I have read I find it interesting.

07-18-2002, 06:21 AM
Majic
Ascended Being

: Dec 2001
: USA: Dallas, Tx
: 3,298
Majic  (249)Majic  (249)Majic  (249)

That sounds cool, that kind of enviroment would be perfect for Oddworld... Hopefully, yes, it will turn out like that near the end.
07-18-2002, 09:34 AM
tybie_odd
Fuzzle

: Aug 2001
: Riverside, California, USA
: 144
tybie_odd  (10)

It is only a matter of time before this becomes the standard of gameplay. The ONLY thing stopping it is the proccessing, right? Having it complicated AND fast? Ten years ago no-one would have dreamed of the technology we have today. Beware, for the computer is smarter than we think!
My RP cc's: Smudge | Jayne | Vince | Correl

07-18-2002, 03:05 PM
Mac the Janitor
Outlaw Semi Auto

: Apr 2002
: naked
: 2,444
Mac the Janitor  (14)

:
Originally posted by tybie_odd
Beware, for the computer is smarter than we think!
AAAARGH! The Matrix!

07-18-2002, 08:07 PM
Gluk Schmuck
Not living with Max any more

: Jul 2001
: Sheffield, UK
: 2,874
Gluk Schmuck  (11)

:
Originally posted by Jacob
I meant 'should' as in 'will'
The sentence is still wrong.

All games will have loads of different characters doing different things, etc. Wake up! Not all games are non-linear RPGs and god games.
07-18-2002, 08:24 PM
Jacob
Lawyer to the Underworld

Jacob  (87)

I meant will have, at some point, people doing their own thing.