Oddworld Forums > Zulag Two > Forum Suggestions & Help

11-06-2005, 10:55 PM
Alcar
Oddworld Forums Owner
Magical Happy Dream Queen

: Nov 2001
: Sydney, AU
: 6,698
Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)
New Super Moderator

Due to the depature of Hobo, Rich has been promoted to Zulag Two Super Moderator.

Commence the jiggling!

Alcar...
Oddworld Forums Blog

Upcoming Forum Events
11th Anniversary of Abe's Exoddus (September) § 9th Anniversary of the Oddworld Forums (May 2009)
Release of Citizen Siege (2020) § Double Back Ceremony (Daily)

“Also, we don't need no Jacob to gay this place up. We have officially won the award for the forum with a highest proportion of gay members whilst not being themed about poojabbing, cowboys or Kylie.” - Nate

11-07-2005, 04:01 AM
Havoc
Cheesecake Apocalypse

: May 2003
: Netherlands
: 9,976
Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)Havoc  (4126)

Congrats Rich... make us proud.

When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion.

11-07-2005, 04:40 AM
Voodoo Hand
Sniper Wasp

: Feb 2005
: Not from around here
: 290
Voodoo Hand  (190)Voodoo Hand  (190)

Git 'R' Done, Rich !!

11-07-2005, 06:24 AM
Godlesswanderer
Naked & Pimping

: Dec 2004
: Essex, England
: 1,183
Godlesswanderer  (22)

Well done Rich ! Although I was wondering, is there going to be someone to replace Rich's old position? Or is that place being left empty?

11-07-2005, 10:27 AM
Oddish
Outlaw Semi Auto

: Mar 2004
: Ma' Spa
: 2,431
Oddish  (10)

Just like that? Rich is sure getting in the higher rank of mederation very quickly.

Congratz!

"For us, it's not about muscle bound characters with big guns. It's about little guys "
~ Lorne Lanning 15/02/2000
"We knew there were more of us out there, and were gunna find them!" ~ Abe

11-07-2005, 11:54 AM
metroixer
Outlaw Sniper

: Sep 2005
: Florida
: 1,512
metroixer  (-71)

Congrats rich! May your decisions be wise .
11-07-2005, 01:30 PM
used:)
Symphonium

: Jun 2005
: Tranquil Vestiges, PA
: 5,161
used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)

Congrats! Yes...commence the jiggling

11-07-2005, 06:47 PM
AquaticAmbi
Fish out of Water

: Sep 2004
: 1,178
AquaticAmbi  (10)

You're a fine replacement for the Hobo, Rich. I'm glad you got the position. Congratulations and happy SUPA-DUPA moderating! You will hence forth be known as SuperRich!

(Am I the only one who thinks the super mods should have capes?)

11-07-2005, 07:21 PM
Dino
Outlaw Sniper

: AFX - I'm Momma Employed
: 1,544
Dino  (10)

:
Just like that? Rich is sure getting in the higher rank of mederation very quickly.
I'm actually quite glad that someone other than me has picked up on this. And I'd like to add that he was never elected either.

Of all the forums I've ever been to, this one has been the most secretive (or least talkative, if you would prefer) of it's dictatorial attitude toward handing out positions of authority. People appear to be acting as though the fact that moderators used to be elected means that we're still in a democracy, even though we're clearly not. Perhaps because the majority don't consider that to be a problem.

When one is running a forum, one has to ask one's self, is it better to let the people choose who represents them, who keeps things the way they are preferred (because ultimately it's the people who make a forum what it is), or is it better to choose them yourself (knowing that the people might elect some total asswad, and it's your forum so you should get to choose how it's run)?

Much as I don't really have a problem with Rich, I don't think he's as suitable for modding as Alcar would have us believe. I'm somewhat neutrally unimpressed by him, if such a status exists - mainly because he had always struck me as someone who did a lot of behind the scenes talking. Even though he did later admit that he actually hates me and said things behind my back, which shows honesty (belated and contradictory as it is), he still let his personal feelings interfere with his judgement as a moderator prior to his admission that he hates me. Modship generally requires you to be emotionally detatched in order to preserve fairness.

Now, one could argue that forums like this are better off without people like me, so if I get scared/kicked off by the behaviour of one moderator, then that moderator has done the forum a service. But I'd bet any money that opinions will be divided on whether I should be here or not. And when referring to it as "the forum", just how many people does that represent? All the "right types"? The "intelligent ones"? By whos definition? Is it really right that this place turns into one person's definition of "cool"?

I can't remember why I was posting this, so I'm going to leave it there and go away.

My sincerest condolances to you all, here's wishing you a happy birthday from your dearest aunt.
11-07-2005, 07:33 PM
CheeseOfGlory
Fuzzle

: Jul 2005
: deep within your jesus
: 142
CheeseOfGlory  (11)

Heeeeee's back!

100 posts? I THINK WE SHOULD HAIL SATAN

11-07-2005, 07:37 PM
AquaticAmbi
Fish out of Water

AquaticAmbi  (10)

:
knowing that the people might elect some total asswad
I don't know about that... It seems like mostly everyone has pretty good faith in Alcar's and whoever's choosing.

I guess it would have been nice to have everyone's opinion beforehand, but let those with objections be known? No one's objected so far besides you... and maybe Oddish, but that just sounded like more of a comment than complaint and he congratulated Rich in the end. (Clarify, Oddish, if you like.)

11-08-2005, 01:14 AM
Impaler
Bolamite

: Apr 2003
: U.K.
: 68
Impaler  (10)

Congrats I guess. Rich's became a made man ==>

See me here =>Me,Me,Me

11-08-2005, 03:23 AM
SeaRex
LOLocaust.

: Tampa Bay Area
: 3,335
SeaRex  (33)

It wasn't even supposed to be an election. It's more like an upgrade.

We don't need another moderator, we just need someone to fill out the position of SMOD, and Rich is the obvious choice.
11-08-2005, 07:40 AM
Rex Tirano
Cute as a rabbit

: Aug 2001
: Nagasaki
: 2,259
Rex Tirano  (682)Rex Tirano  (682)Rex Tirano  (682)Rex Tirano  (682)Rex Tirano  (682)Rex Tirano  (682)

I doubt you'll find anyone who really has a grudge against Rich apart from yourself Dino. But we all know that you've left now, so your opinion doesn't really matter.

- Rexy

11-08-2005, 09:35 AM
OANST
Necrum Burial Grounds Moderator
Our worst member ever

: Jun 2003
: Them dark fucking woods
: 12,320
OANST  (16390)OANST  (16390)OANST  (16390)OANST  (16390)OANST  (16390)OANST  (16390)OANST  (16390)OANST  (16390)OANST  (16390)OANST  (16390)OANST  (16390)

Burn!

My bowels hurt.

11-08-2005, 09:39 AM
MojoMan220
Outlaw Mortar

: Jan 2002
: Jesusland
: 1,770
MojoMan220  (235)MojoMan220  (235)MojoMan220  (235)

Sorry to say, but I'm very much against Rich's new promotion. This man's record is not all flowers and sausages, so I've decided to devise a flowchart for your viewing pleasure:

Joins OWF--> Is kind of a bitch for several years--> Finds Jesus-->

Makes out with Alcar--> Becomes a Moderator--> Ignites OWF's demise-->

Blackmails Hobo with revealing photographs, causing him to leave-->

Blames it all on Dino--> Becomes a Super Moderator--> ???

11-08-2005, 11:11 AM
Rex Tirano
Cute as a rabbit

: Aug 2001
: Nagasaki
: 2,259
Rex Tirano  (682)Rex Tirano  (682)Rex Tirano  (682)Rex Tirano  (682)Rex Tirano  (682)Rex Tirano  (682)

Oh MM220 You are such good fun! ^_^

- Rexy

11-08-2005, 11:40 AM
Rich
Can't Be Arsed

: Apr 2001
: Wolves, UK
: 2,429
Rich  (138)Rich  (138)

Yes, congratulations Rich, you bastard. You're such an E-whore, climbing the promotional ladder by sucking off Alcar, I hope you have many fun days moving topics to welcomes and birthdays.

PS. Cunt.

Last edited by Rich; 05-31-2006 at 04:26 AM..
11-08-2005, 03:02 PM
Dino
Outlaw Sniper

Dino  (10)

:
No one's objected so far besides you...
:
I doubt you'll find anyone who really has a grudge against Rich apart from yourself Dino.
:
Much as I don't really have a problem with Rich
Like I said, I don't really have a problem with Rich, least of all some kind of "grudge". I just don't think he's the best choice for a moderator, simple as that - that doesn't mean I think that he's not a good choice or that he can't do it, I just believe that there are other people, who are in my opinion better suited to the role. It's hardly like I'm accusing his mother of endulging in sexual relations the family dog.

It's not an Orwellian conspiracy either, he isn't going to flop over and die just because someone he hates/dislikes has made some honest, constructive criticism against him. And there's no point reacting so negatively just because it was I who posted it. I posted my honest opinion, which is a whole lot more useful and interesting than just offering some false congratulatory statement just to keep everyone happy.

So chill out.
11-08-2005, 03:18 PM
AquaticAmbi
Fish out of Water

AquaticAmbi  (10)

I wasn't a negative Nelly in my post. I just said let anyone else with objections be known. And I did actually agree a wee bit that it would have been nice to get everyone's opinions beforehand. But obviously objections can still be made... I'm basically rehashing at this point. Might as well throw in the faith in the admins' choices thing too.

I'm not trying to be all "OMG, Y DO U CARE?", but honestly... um.. why do you?[/nice and sincere curiosity]

Oh, and one point for you for mentioning Orwell.

Last edited by AquaticAmbi; 11-08-2005 at 03:20 PM..
11-08-2005, 04:54 PM
Al the Vykker
Resident Psychologist

: Oct 2001
: Not Specified
: 2,804
Al the Vykker  (20)

:
Due to the depature of Hobo, Rich has been promoted to Zulag Two Super Moderator.

Commence the jiggling!

Alcar...
Execute Order 66...

Congrats on your promotion Rich.
11-09-2005, 07:08 PM
Dino
Outlaw Sniper

Dino  (10)

:
I wasn't a negative Nelly in my post. I just said let anyone else with objections be known. And I did actually agree a wee bit that it would have been nice to get everyone's opinions beforehand. But obviously objections can still be made... I'm basically rehashing at this point. Might as well throw in the faith in the admins' choices thing too.

I'm not trying to be all "OMG, Y DO U CARE?", but honestly... um.. why do you?[/nice and sincere curiosity]

Oh, and one point for you for mentioning Orwell.
My gripe wasn't really with what you said so much as it was with what Rexy said. I didn't particularly like her tone.

You're pretty much right to ask that people make their objections known... but I doubt they will do that. After all, isn't it a lot easier to just say "hey well done!" rather than "you know, you're not the best man for the job"? Some people value their popularity over the ability to speak their mind, for some reason.

You raise a fair question too. Why do I care? Well the short answer is, I'd like to at least be able to come back here occasionally to post when I'm bored and have nothing better to do (like now, for instance). But I feel that so far the people we've had in positions of authority (excepting your wonderful significant other, who is my number 1 choice for S-mod) haven't done this place any favours. SeaRex tried to get things going again, implement some cool stuff, and whatnot, but it sort of fizzled out. With Hobo milking the bajesus out of his I > You gimmick and Rich apparantly being my sworn enemy (sworn enemies in positions of power do not bode well for me) I didn't feel that it was really worth posting here. I'd just get lambasted and banned before I could say "how about a nice debate then?".

To cut a long story short, I know that if it continues like this, it's not going to really be worth the effort to post here full stop. I've got over 1k of posts, and people know me around here... I don't really want to start all over again on some other forum. So that's why I care... I guess I just want to be able to post here when I'm bored, and I want it to be as good as it possibly can be, if I can help it.

I know what I've just said probably looks to some people like I'm trying to give my "trolling" a vaneer of heartfelt honesty and what have you, but it's really not like that. I just want to have more fun and less hassle here, it's pretty basic really.
11-09-2005, 07:52 PM
Joshy
Outlaw Mortar

: Aug 2002
: Australia, Sydney
: 1,908
Joshy  (20)

I believe Rich is the best choice of supermoderator.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God.
You see things, and you say 'why'. But i dream things that never were and i say 'why not'.

11-10-2005, 12:26 AM
Alcar
Oddworld Forums Owner
Magical Happy Dream Queen

: Sydney, AU
: 6,698
Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)Alcar  (1705)

There was some form of electorial process. The staff members debated in Employee Lounge over who was a good choice.

And if Rich wants to suck me off, I'm not going to object.

Alcar...
Oddworld Forums Blog

Upcoming Forum Events
11th Anniversary of Abe's Exoddus (September) § 9th Anniversary of the Oddworld Forums (May 2009)
Release of Citizen Siege (2020) § Double Back Ceremony (Daily)

“Also, we don't need no Jacob to gay this place up. We have officially won the award for the forum with a highest proportion of gay members whilst not being themed about poojabbing, cowboys or Kylie.” - Nate

11-10-2005, 01:48 AM
Fuzzle Guy
Outlaw Flamer

: Apr 2003
: Greater London, UK
: 2,634
Fuzzle Guy  (2482)Fuzzle Guy  (2482)Fuzzle Guy  (2482)Fuzzle Guy  (2482)Fuzzle Guy  (2482)Fuzzle Guy  (2482)Fuzzle Guy  (2482)Fuzzle Guy  (2482)Fuzzle Guy  (2482)Fuzzle Guy  (2482)Fuzzle Guy  (2482)

I have no objection of Rich being the new Supermod. congrats BTW

11-10-2005, 12:48 PM
AquaticAmbi
Fish out of Water

AquaticAmbi  (10)

:
Rich apparantly being my sworn enemy
Mmph, I pretty much got him into this, so I'll try my best to get him out by explaining what I know now. Rich has been one of the members who honestly can't make up his mind about you from what I can tell. He's not your "sworn enemy" or anything crazy-dramatic like that. He's been free of "foolish consistencies" (See Emerson's Self-Reliance), meaning everytime he's said something about you, it's how he felt at the time. I misinterpreted this as mere hypocrisy, and so I quoted him as an example of the handful of people that I also thought did this and basically forced him into this situation. I shouldn't have singled Rich out. It was terribly wrong of me, and I've already apologized.

:
I don't really want to start all over again on some other forum. So that's why I care... I guess I just want to be able to post here when I'm bored, and I want it to be as good as it possibly can be, if I can help it.
I thought you already joined another board... twice? Neither time worked out, I s'pose? Hmmz, and I thought you left because this place was so boring and whatnot...

11-10-2005, 12:51 PM
used:)
Symphonium

: Jun 2005
: Tranquil Vestiges, PA
: 5,161
used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)used:)  (3040)

:
I thought you already joined another board... twice? Neither time worked out, I s'pose? Hmmz, and I thought you left because this place was so boring and whatnot...
I would consider this forums dry when you are as active as I am, but when you come back every other day like Dino, there are tons of threads waiting to be replied to.

11-11-2005, 03:44 AM
Dino
Outlaw Sniper

Dino  (10)

:
Mmph, I pretty much got him into this, so I'll try my best to get him out by explaining what I know now. Rich has been one of the members who honestly can't make up his mind about you from what I can tell. He's not your "sworn enemy" or anything crazy-dramatic like that. He's been free of "foolish consistencies" (See Emerson's Self-Reliance), meaning everytime he's said something about you, it's how he felt at the time. I misinterpreted this as mere hypocrisy, and so I quoted him as an example of the handful of people that I also thought did this and basically forced him into this situation. I shouldn't have singled Rich out. It was terribly wrong of me, and I've already apologized.

Oh ok... I extend my apologies to Rich then. That doesn't suprise me since he never really struck me as someone who genuinely hates me or anything...

And what Used said is pretty much true. I did kinda leave... I wasn't here for about a week or so, and this place was getting very dull. Now I just come back and post like once a day, or once every other day. It is more interesting this way because there is more to respond to, and more to read.

By the way, you're right, the other forums I'd visited pretty much either ignored me (refused to let me into their community), or were just full of people who didn't type well and never had anything interesting to say.
11-11-2005, 10:27 AM
Fuzzleman54321
Rabid Fuzzle

: Here and there.....Everywhere!
: 545
Fuzzleman54321  (10)

Congrats Rich. I hope you can Handle the CHAOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm back because there is news! wooh movie!

11-13-2005, 03:27 AM
Joshy
Outlaw Mortar

: Aug 2002
: Australia, Sydney
: 1,908
Joshy  (20)

:
I wasn't here for about a week or so, and this place was getting very dull.
Wow your week must be 2 days.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God.
You see things, and you say 'why'. But i dream things that never were and i say 'why not'.