Al the Vykker
Resident Psychologist

: Oct 2001
: Not Specified
: 2,804
Al the Vykker  (20)
Fan Corner Plans, Additions/Contests, and Ideas

Dear OWF Staff, and Members,

These are some of the possible ideas and plans that may be intergrated into Fan Corner, in the coming weeks.

I have been thinking ever since I was nominated, for Modship, what ideas I have for the Fan Corner. I was wondoring if these could be possible new additions to it. I had some of these ideas in mind:

-New possible contests for Fan Fictions.
-Possibly every month or so a Fan Fic of the month award, that could be possibly made into a title, or not and just put into a hall of fame for fan fics. but Alector and I would judge which one would win for the month, and maybe get some feedback from other members, before we make our final decision on which one would Win.
I was also thinking of a year end anthology, for extraordinary Fan Fics, that were member favs, and put into a special sticky topic, on new years day, and would contain five to 20 favorite fcs.

I realize some of these possible contests could be popularity contests, that is why Alector and I will also read the fan fics, our selves, and also see how well written and overall how good the story is.

The last idea for these possiblities would be that we may make a special nomination, process, including, how good the story is, how well the characters develop throughout the story, and also, other characteristics, that should be taken into consideration before nominating a fan fic for either the anthology, or when we choose a fan fic of the month, these would be some of the many guidlines.

Hope you are looking forward to the new ideas, and feel free to if you have any new ideas, for myself or Alector, Pm us. We are looking forward to any other possible ideas you guys might have. thanks again.

-Al the Vykker FC Mod OIPT Jr. Exec.

Update you can now respond with your ideas. please though If you dont have any ideas or feedback do not post. Or I will delete spamful posts here.

Last edited by Al the Vykker; 09-15-2002 at 03:03 PM..
09-15-2002, 11:20 PM
Majic
Ascended Being

: Dec 2001
: USA: Dallas, Tx
: 3,298
Majic  (249)Majic  (249)Majic  (249)

Yay, I can post

For your various Fan Fic ideas, I have a few things that might turn out well (or not):

For one, maybe there could be a selective panel to judge Fan FIcs. Maybe a non Fan Fic writer (to think about enjoyment value), a fellow Fan Fic writer (to think about how well its written, and to maybe give a few critiques), and one of our mods (probably Al). I think this would work well, to get an all around feel for judging ideas from all aspects.

Second is relating to artwork. Here a panel might also be well, following the same pattern. A non or average artist (for an overall "nice look"), a more in debth artist (to think about different drawing aspects, and critiques), and a mod (probably Alector). For me saying "probably XXX" for the two mod panel parts, I'm stongly considering who is more adept for that kind of fan work.

Now, relating to everything. This may be a bad idea, but could there be a Sub-Forum for the few elite Fics and artwork judged as outstanding? For instance, all completely finished Fan Fics, or individual artwork pieces/prepared threads for serious critiquing. For the Fan Fics, I'm thinking about competely typed through documents for people to read as a full novel and critique. For individual pieces, and example owuld be Middle Boogies picture of a Glukkon that was a while back. Prepared threads, as in multiple pieces that are designed for judging.

Yes, my thread is very long and very boring for most, but I'm thinking of a well organized Fan Corner.
09-15-2002, 11:39 PM
Al the Vykker
Resident Psychologist

Al the Vykker  (20)

I really like those Ideas Majic.

The two in particular about the Judging Panel.

It goes really well with the things Myself and Alector do. Alector responds, and creates a lot of Artwork here, and I myself, enjoy a lot of the time reading Fan Fics, writing my own Fan Fics, and giving feedback to other Fan Fiction writers. So it would work out really well, I would probably have to hold an election for the Panel, luckily though it will still be a couple of weeks before the new ideas are implemented, so it gives a lot of time to get feedback and suggestions from the peanut gallery.
09-17-2002, 12:20 PM
Alector
Outlaw Mortar

: May 2001
: Germany
: 1,885
Alector  (58)

For the first part :

AtV's idea about the FanFiction of the month was amazing. I think it would animate the visitors to continue their great work. (For those who suddenly stopped to write their Fanfics.)
Particularly, the 'artwriters', who were nominated can help the beginners to improve their work (in the form, not in the story!). More onlookers will come over to see what's new on this board.
For our visitors, who want to start up their stories in here, but don't know how to do that, the qualified writers can assist them.

I try to read Fanfictions occasionally, but I almost never have time to do things like that. I really like to read stories, I also began to write one. 6 chapters are finished, but due to school and family, I couldn't continue it. What a bummer, actually. So, Al the Vykker would be the perfect one who could judge the best FF's. But if he is not sure with one, he certainly can send me a PM and I will find time to get there and read the story.

To the second part :

This is also great. You spoke out what I always thought of, Majic_Abe!
MB started a topic that was about an art competition. Why don't we continue it? (*remembers* Was this thread here, or in Art and Literature?)
Al tV and I could judge it like we are going to think about the FanFictions.

It would be great if these ideas are going to start up here soon!

10-01-2002, 11:50 AM
paramiteabe
Wolvark Semi Auto

: Nov 2001
: Cuyahoga Falls Ohio
: 4,129
paramiteabe  (95)
Wired

I like those ideas, they are pretty good. I was was woundering if we could have a seperate board here in fan fiction specifically for illustrations or conceptual art? Or a sort of "draft forum" where you can write drafts to your stories.

I am not talking about like the art and Litature forum where you put your ideas down and get feed back from others. I am talking about just sort of a place where you can write drafts or put your own conceptual art in as a model for the fanfic you are writeing. A place where anyone can put together and organize their ideas and art work here on the forums instead of on paper. And then use that resource to put in the fan cornor which could be a pretty convienient thing.

It would be good because not only you would be makeing just the story but you would also have a copy of that story and artwork for security reasons as well. What I mean by that is if someone were to copy you. By doing this you would be creating a portfolio for yourself which can be very important later on for a possible job. Just a thought for anyone interested in doing a career in this type of thing like me.

Last edited by paramiteabe; 10-01-2002 at 05:45 AM..
11-18-2002, 04:10 PM
Splat
Chameleonic Lifeforms, No Thanks!

: Oct 2002
: Merrie olde Englande
: 4,539
Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)

I think it would be good if al or Alector started a sort of mini help site for people who only discovered that an Oddworld forum existed about a month ago and really experienced people could check up on it every so often and give advice.
I WANNA SUBMIT A STORY BUT I DON'T KNOW HOW!!!
HELP ME...

A pet rock is for life, not just for Christmas

I lost my head in a history lesson and when i found it it was empty!
11-19-2002, 07:03 PM
Al the Vykker
Resident Psychologist

Al the Vykker  (20)

Well I could change this into a help topic or add one after combining this with a friendly reminder and such. But really submitting a story, is quite easy, once you have the idea of what you are going to write about. Post in Fan Corner your "Oddworld" related literature or stories, and receive feedback from other members. Take a look at some of the stories here, and see what some comments, mainly good but, I always like suggestions too.

Sincerely, Al the Vykker Fan Corner Moderator

P.S. if you have some further questions feel free to send me a Pm, or drop me a line at my email. Ill be glad to respond.
11-23-2002, 05:58 PM
Mac the Janitor
Outlaw Semi Auto

: Apr 2002
: naked
: 2,444
Mac the Janitor  (14)

Jesus.

Open the document in Word or something, select all, copy it to the clipboard, and paste it in a new topic. It ain't all that hard.
11-23-2002, 07:36 PM
Splat

Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)Splat  (2194)
Sad :fuzblink:

sorry i got so frustrated guys, its just ive been tryin to find out for ages and when i sent Al that thread i was hoping to get an answer i could use, no affence Al).
Oh, well, thanks again Mac.

(i know this face is weird but its the only imbarraced one theyve got, HEY, you could look into that Al)
Ok, ill rite my fic as soon as my PC crashes again. Word and publisher always refuse to come up unless the computers in safe mode. Look out for the fic guys.

11-26-2002, 08:08 PM
Al the Vykker
Resident Psychologist

Al the Vykker  (20)

You are a newbie on the forums so I will let your previous post that was now deleted slip by. And to address your response to my help I tried to give out I say this, you didnt explain the question well enough, all you talked about was how do I post a story. Next time dont get upset with me please address the question more detailed, and maybe I can help you next time.

-Al the Vykker Fan Corner Moderator.

Last edited by Al the Vykker; 11-26-2002 at 12:11 PM..
11-28-2002, 03:37 PM
Splat

Sad

Soory Al, your a great administrator and im sorry i got so frustrated! Happy thanksgiving to everyone who celebrates it. Ill explain in more detail next time

11-28-2002, 05:55 PM
Al the Vykker
Resident Psychologist

Al the Vykker  (20)

No problem apology accepted. You are a good member from what I have seen, and I hope you have a great time here. Happy Thanksgiving!

-Sincerely, Al the Vykker Fan Corner Moderator
12-13-2002, 12:11 PM
sO fReAkIn oDd
Howler Punk

: Sep 2002
: They keep me in the closet! RUN! GET HELP!
: 337
sO fReAkIn oDd  (11)

Al, sorry for asking, but I'm really intrigued by the Fan Fic contest. When can we start to begin it?
12-18-2002, 07:45 AM
Facsimile
Outlaw Hunter

: Nov 2002
: Here.
: 2,763
Facsimile  (312)Facsimile  (312)Facsimile  (312)Facsimile  (312)

Yes, I would like to enter Zeeron's Tale into it.
http://www.myspace.com/spirebandnz

12-18-2002, 11:12 AM
Mac the Janitor
Outlaw Semi Auto

Mac the Janitor  (14)

Oo, I hope it isen't for a while. I'd really like to finish Lily's Oddysee.

Speaking of which, I PROMISE a new chapter holiday weekend. I'm working on it right now, and I'm about halfway done.

12-18-2002, 08:55 PM
sO fReAkIn oDd
Howler Punk

: Sep 2002
: They keep me in the closet! RUN! GET HELP!
: 337
sO fReAkIn oDd  (11)

Yea, i really want to enter VLI 147 into the contest. But by the time this contest is ready, I'll probably be able to enter Ben's Oddysey too!
12-20-2002, 05:09 PM
Al the Vykker
Resident Psychologist

Al the Vykker  (20)

Well, I just finished my final exams for my second term of this year. So I have two and a half weeks off. During this time frame Im going to start the process of taking all the thoughts Ive collected, and putting it to work. I might later request a subforum or so so things dont get cluttered. That would still be run by myself, and possibly Alector all depends on whether she will be around here when it takes place. But stay close to this topic. Ill probably give a progress report starting next week, on how things are going. The sub forum would probably be called, Fan Corner Contests. And would not be added to my title or Alectors saying we ran that because its just a branch off FC for room. But Ill have to talk with the the Admins about that

Sincerely Al the Vykker FC Mod
12-20-2002, 11:12 PM
Mac the Janitor
Outlaw Semi Auto

Mac the Janitor  (14)

Hey Al, do stories have to be fully finished to enter the contest?

12-21-2002, 05:51 PM
Splat

Yeah, a "partially completed fic" competition would be good, and one for pics. I would like to enter "Splat".

12-22-2002, 11:59 PM
Al the Vykker
Resident Psychologist

Al the Vykker  (20)

To answer your question no they dont have to be finished. I would not do that to writers because it would make everyone try and rush their great stories just to submit. It will be partially when they are judged done by what is written not what hasnt been. So partially done, starting atleast 3 to five chapters(havent decided yet), or finished. I'll have more information on how it will work in the coming week. I finally have the time to focus on this, now that I have time off from school.

-Al the Vykker FC Mod

Oh and to add, what I mentioned earlier also is that once Alector has more free time she will probably during the contests be focusing in on the Artwork half, and since Ive been here a lot and I really emphasize on giving a lot of feedback on Fan Fictions I'll probably be running that half. But as I said dont worry, Ill be informing everyone on all the details in the coming week or two so dont worry please.

Last edited by Al the Vykker; 12-22-2002 at 04:03 PM..
12-28-2002, 07:15 PM
Splat

Maybe you could do different competitions. One for less than half finished, one for more than half finished or finished and one for finished.THat way it would be more fair.

01-04-2003, 06:13 AM
Canned Gabbiar
Spark Stunk

: Dec 2002
: Dunno...
: 385
Canned Gabbiar  (10)

Art competitions would be great! Art is fantastic! Hehe...

01-28-2003, 03:33 PM
Rich
Can't Be Arsed

: Apr 2001
: Wolves, UK
: 2,429
Rich  (138)Rich  (138)

I'm happy to see that you still haven't begun these fan work competitions yet. You told me a few months ago this stuff would be happening, I'm glad I'll get a chance to finish my fic.

01-28-2003, 10:01 PM
Jacob
Lawyer to the Underworld

: Feb 2002
: Nowhere in particular...
: 4,377
Jacob  (87)

Could i enter all of mine? Hehe

"In Heaven all the interesting people are missing" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"America is the most grandiose experiment the world has seen, but, I am afraid, it is not going to be a success." - Sigmund Freud

01-29-2003, 12:34 AM
Al the Vykker
Resident Psychologist

Al the Vykker  (20)

Yes you may enter all if most of your fan fictions, and certain artwork. The details are shady, because Alector once she can be here a bit more will focus a lot on the artwork half as stated, and I'll be heading up the Fan Fiction part. I'm still working on the whole basis on how the final competitions will run, but as of the current time continue to submit ideas, and feel free to ask questions. Soon enough I will put up a F.A.Q. addressing any questions you may need. Along with the basic way the contest will work so stay tuned to Fan Corner, for further updates.

-Sincerely, Al the Vykker FC Mod
02-11-2003, 05:24 PM
Splat

Geat, just one question, could you give a guess to when the competitions might start, it doesn't have to be to accurate, i just want some idea so i know when to be alert. Ill try and stay ready but my PC doesnt always work and i have to share it with my sister.

05-12-2003, 10:42 AM
Alector
Outlaw Mortar

Alector  (58)

Hello again,

I really try to be around here when I can. Next week, we are going to do exams, which means I have a lot to do.
I rarely have time to get out, not to mention to get on the computer. With other words, I'm booked up till summer.
We have project week. Our day ends early, so I have some time to be here, which makes me feel happy.

Well,

I want to lead the Artwork Contest. I have to talk with Al before we can start. For my fellow artists, I'm going to assort topics for the contest. That means, you not only have to draw one picture for the contest. I will think about good topics, which can be interesting for you.
Every week, each artist has to post one drawing to the particular topic. And every week, the best of them will come to the next topic. And that will move on till two artists "survived". They should be ready for the main contest. The best of them is the winner, of course.

That depends on whether you want to or not.

Does this sound ok for you?
If not, tell me your notions. I will be there for you if you have questions. Though I don't have much time, I will try to come more often.

You have to give your best for the contest. We may be picky in such things. But notice.

We admire your artwork and we will be happy if the contest takes place!

- Your Alector

06-04-2003, 02:45 PM
Splat

Hey, Alector, does the Art have to be oddworld related? (And is Al herte yet to start the story competitions?)

07-20-2003, 10:00 AM
Alector
Outlaw Mortar

Alector  (58)

Hello Splat,

Yes, I want to have an art competition which is Oddworld related because we are here in the Fan Corner, aren't we?
pfeeew...let's see when I can come back.
For my next visit, I have some topics for the competition.
But first, I have to talk to Al.

- Alector

09-25-2003, 12:45 AM
Al the Vykker
Resident Psychologist

Al the Vykker  (20)

Reminder to all Fan Corner visitors

If you wish to submit an idea for consideration or an addition to the contests planned, or anything of the sort, make sure you PM either myself or PA. Or just post it here in this thread.

Also, in a matter of weeks, with the help of my new assistant Paramiteabe, the Fan Corner contests may begin. We are still in the process of discussing how the actual contests could take place. They may be hosted on the community web site we have have been working on also.

Both of us will try and make your time here as fun and interesting as possible.

Please Check back soon for continued updates.